Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dear Jane, Stay with me...

I finished A-6: Uncle Homer, for my dear Jane quilt. The seams aren't perfect but not bad. I really like the color pattern. Soon I need to try to figure out how I will organize it color wise but for now I am just trying to finish the blocks we are doing in the group.
I also finished A-7: Dad's Plaids
I am not happy with it though. This one was tough for me which is scary since I think it is still one of the easy one lol. When I shrunk the image the grain lines really showed up in the white fabric. I didn't have enough fabric for the whole thing in the flowers so I used 3 fabrics. I don't mind it but think I maybe should have stuck with just 2. The real problem though, is the size. I thought I did the measurements right but I think it is too big. The ruler here is 4 1/4. Hmm, maybe its not too bad but the seam allowance will be really close to the edge of the melons. I think I am going to redo this one. It will be my first redo and I am brand new to applique so its ok. (notice the pep talk I keep giving myself) So Jane, wish me luck. Have a good day all!

9 comments:

Jen said...

Do you have enough room to just resew the four blocks together? Rather than redoing the entire block? It looks like you just need a smidgen more to make the block 4.5x4.5.

Anina said...

I love your fabrics. Jen is right. Maybe you can take them apart and sew them back together with slightly smaller seam allowances. You can also put the squares with the same fabrics diagonally across from each other to break it up. I think the 3 fabrics are cute.

Stacy A. said...

Those are both good ideas. I think I will try them both. I worked really hard on the appliqué and would hate to not use them. Thanks ladies!

Tipper said...

Love your blog! When is was small I loved to embroidery. My mom would trace out a pattern for me and I loved seeing it come alive with each stich. I should teach my girls.

African Kelli said...

So pretty! My mom is just putting the border on her first (and only) Dear Jane. I've requested it in the will one day. It has taken her years and is such a piece of art.
Congrats! This is the Everest of quilting.

Ginger Patches said...

Your blocks are lovely1 I love Dear Jane but haven't committed to trying it yet...good job!! I like anina's idea to place the fabrics diagonally.

canquilt said...

I think a 30's DJ will be wonderful. I can't wait to see more of your blocks

azsmith said...

When you were a little girl I never would have dreamed that you would be putting together a "Dear Jane" quilt, or any quilt for that matter. I love to sew and am so happy that you are finding that love also! Keep at it, you'll have a treasure one day!

Girl Who Wants To Quilt More said...

Thanks for the comment Stacy! Looking forward to watching your 30's DJ come together. I toyed with that colourway too!

BTW those kids aren't mine...they belong to a friend of mine. LOL!