Monday, March 31, 2008

I finished Thursday's block last night. I wanted to be all caught up for tomorrow since Anina felt it necessary to send out a warning message about it. Thursday's was B-1: Batchelor's ButtonsSince we have done one very similar, it was a nice flowing one. I did go a little crazy with the yellow dot background, but I think they look great. No reason we can't have a little crazy sometimes (I know what your thinking!, that I'm crazy all the time...but I meant the blocks sillies).
Since I finished the block by today, and all my projects at the moment are learning long term projects, I decided to try a quick one. I just need to finish something. So when I found this
tutorial I was excited (check out her whole blog, its really great). It looked simple and I have some fabric I bought to make a bag 2 years ago that I never got around to. The only issue is that the pattern and all dimensions are in the metric system. Why we Americans haven't switched over is beyond me, but regardless I don't know it. At first I thought the bag must be huge to be 17 in. wide. Thank goodness I thought to pay attention, since it's only 17 cm. The other issue is the length was supposed to be obvious since it was on A4 paper. I had no clue. I finally googled it and found the right dimensions. Other than that it seems very easy so far. It is supposed to be a 1 hour bag. But I dont go normal speed. And the horrible pain I used to have in my arms and shoulders has started coming back so I have to take breaks. I am at least half way though. I can't wait to see how it turns out. The walking foot is the best by the way! It works wonders. And that darning foot is better than a roller coaster!Mumsy took this photo about 60 miles East of Phoenix on Friday. Since we still have snow watches I thought I could share in her spring. The desert really opens up in spring. It is something to see!

Soon I should have lots of projects starting and finishing. I feel kind of awkward since I don't have a lot of finished stuff to show. I just remind myself that it all comes in time. One can't become an expert quilter/everything overnight. Notice the self pep talk again...some days it's all that keeps me going. So while I am doing that learning I thought I might jump in a bit on this photo challenge from Her space/my space. They give a prompt every day and you take a picture to interpret that word or idea. I wont do it every day but It will get me using my camera more!
I will be back as soon as the bag is done. This is how I like to dream of spring!

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

Your block looks great! I love the polka dots, what a fun fabric!

azsmith said...

I think it's my favorite block yet, love the yellow! Spring will come, don't give up hope!

Anina said...

I love those buttons! Isn't it great to be right on schedule?

Jen said...

Don't sweat not having completed projects. Especially if you are working on quilts! That bag project looks very cute though.

Hey, I blog tagged you. You know the rules, right? If not...

http://sewandsox.blogspot.com/2008/03/been-done-tagged-again.html

Tamar said...

I think the yellow dots look great! And hey, if finishing stuff was a requirement for blogging I'd be booted rudely out the door. :)

Maureen Reynolds said...

I really do like that blue and yellow combo. I'm thinking I may have to go in that direction in my house.